Charleston family court lawyer, family court sc, summerville, divorce, goose creek, mount pleasant, find divorce lawyer, meet with divorce lawyer, how to find divorce lawyer, custody lawyer, father's rghts, paternity, child support, birth certificat, name

What to Expect:

Resuming Your Maiden Name/Legal Name Change


If you wish to resume your maiden name as part of a South Carolina divorce or separation action (separate support and maintenance), the procedure is quite simple. If you wish to resume a maiden name outside of one of these actions, or otherwise wish to change your name or your child's name, contact us to request a consultation, as the procedure is more complicated. We also handle transgender name changes.


  • If you are resuming your maiden name as part of a divorce or separation action (separate support and maintenance), you will be called to the stand as a witness. You may already be under oath if you testified about your settlement agreement, or as the party proceeding with a divorce. 


  • Your Summerville divorce and family law attorney will as you these questions. If you are unsure about any of the answers, make sure to discuss this with your attorney ahead of time. 


  • Your name change will be a part of the final Order in your divorce or separation action (separate support and maintenance). Your attorney will provide you with certified copies of the Order to use when you change your name on your social security card, driver's license, and other documents. 




Click here to read more about what to expect if you are moving forward with the Court approval of a settlement agreement. 


Click here to read more about what to expect if you are moving forward with an uncontested no-fault divorce (one-year continuous separation) at a final hearing.  


Click here to read about uncontested South Carolina Family Court final hearings in general. 




This page is not intended to be legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This page is provided for general information purposes only. You should consult with an attorney if you have questions about your specific issue or case. You are invited to contact our Summerville Divorce & Family Law office to request a consultation with attorney Carolyn M. Bone. 



The Law Office of

Carolyn M. Bone, LLC

Divorce, Family Law, Mediation

Summerville, Charleston

703 North Magnolia St

Summerville, SC 29483

Summerville divorce law pay invoice credit card accepted
  • Facebook- Summerville Divorce Lawyer
  • Instagram- Charleston Divorce Lawyer
  • LinkedIn- Charleston Summerville Divorce and Family Law Mediator
Rising Stars Carolyn M Bone Superlawyers
Justia Badge 10.0 Lawyer Rating Carolyn Bone Summerville Charleston Divorce Lawyer, blue and red badge

DISCLAIMER, PRIVACY POLICY, & TERMS AND CONDITIONS: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your situation.  Contacting Carolyn M. Bone, LLC does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not send any confidential information until  an attorney-client relationship has been established. Carolyn M. Bone, LLC is a Summerville divorce law firm focusing on family law, including divorce, separation, child and spousal support, child custody and visitation, property and debt division, and name changes.  Mediation site: CR 2020 by Carolyn M. Bone, LLC. All rights reserved.