top of page

Practice Areas

Distanced Couple; Summerville divorce and separation lawyer, mediation, cooperative law, Charleston divorce lawyer, Summerville family law, Summerville divorce attorney, separation attorney, custody lawyer Summerville

Divorce and Separation

At the Law Office of Carolyn M. Bone, LLC, our Summerville divorce lawyers strive to provide each client with individualized attention in a compassionate, non-judgmental atmosphere. 

Every situation is examined on a case-by-case basis to determine the best possible course of action, and to help clients develop realistic goals and expectations. Whether you are seeking a divorce on fault grounds (like adultery, habitual drunkenness/drug abuse, or physical cruelty (spousal abuse), a "no-fault divorce" (separation for one year), or a legal separation (separate support and maintenance in South Carolina), we can help. Some cases may be appropriate for a Cooperative Family Law approach.  This may be discussed at the initial consultation if you are interested. 

  • Contested divorce/ Uncontested divorce/"No-Fault" divorce

  • Military divorce

  • Separation (Separate Support & Maintenance)

  • Common law marriage issues

  • Same-sex divorce; Gay/lesbian/LGBTQIA+ divorce

  • Modifications of prior orders

  • Annulment

  • Property and debt division

  • Cooperative Divorce

Happy Children with Easter Eggs, custody lawyer, Charleston custody lawyer, Summerville custody lawyer, law firm, visitation, child support, Summerville custody lawyer, Dorchester, Berkeley, Charleston county family court

Child Custody

We understand that nothing is more important to you than your children. Our SC custody attorneys can help you craft a child-centered parenting plan that is both workable and in the best interests of your children. 


If you are the parent of a child born out of wedlock, you may also want to consult with a South Carolina family law attorney to learn more about your parental rights. 


  • Visitation

  • Custody

  • Enforcement/contempt proceedings

  • Relocation

  • Modifications of prior orders 

  • Grandparents' rights/visitation

  • Paternity/Unwed parents

  • Father's rights

  • Adoption/Step-parent adoption

  • Child name changes

  • Registration of out-of-state custody orders

  • Parenting plans for children with special needs

baby car seats; Summerville child support lawyer, Dorchester child support attorney, child support attorney fathers, child support mothers, child support calculator, mediation, visitation, parenting plan, Summerville law office

Child Support

The Law Office of Carolyn M. Bone, LLC handles a wide range of child-related issues, including issues related to the determination of equitable child support payments. In certain circumstances, the court may also consider modifying existing child support orders when there has been a significant change of circumstances, including a job loss, relocation, promotion at work, serious personal injury, and remarriage. If you or your child's parent has experienced a substantial change in circumstances, contact us to speak with a South Carolina child support attorney today. We can offer advice on issues like obtaining child support, lowering child support, raising child support, and ending child support when your obligation has run its course. 


The Law Office of Carolyn M. Bone, LLC can also advise clients with child support issues regarding paternity, including the use of DNA testing to determine paternity. 



  • Child support establishment

  • Child support enforcement

  • Child support modification

  • Increase or decrease child support

  • Unwed parents

  • Paternity


Business People in Meeting; Mediation, Mediated divorce, mediator Charleston, mediator Summerville, cooperative divorce, agreement, Dorchester County lawyer, family court, family lawyer, low cost divorce

Mediation and Settlement Agreements

We now offer flat-fee mediation for parties without attorneys (half or full day). For parties with attorneys, we charge an hourly rate. Mediation is available in-person at our Summerville law office or virtually statewide. Mediated divorce can save you time, money, and stress versus traditional litigation. Please reach out for more information.


In all counties of South Carolina, mediation is mandatory in most family court cases before they may proceed to trial. Mediation can also be a cost-effective and valuable tool to help resolve contested cases. Attorney Carolyn M. Bone is a Certified South Carolina Family Court Mediator. Please visit our sister site,, if you are looking for mediation services. (Please note, Ms. Bone cannot serve as both an attorney and a mediator in a given case). Ms. Bone is also trained in Cooperative Family Law


  • Mediation

  • Arbitration (representation only, not a certified arbitrator)

  • Settlement agreements

  • Settlement negotiation

  • Court approval of agreements

  • Custody agreements

  • Separation agreements

  • Child support agreements

  • Property division agreements

  • Military retirement division

  • Drafting settlement agreements

  • Mediated divorce

  • Cooperative Family Law

man and woman shaking hands, Summerville divorce lawyer, alimony lawyer, spousal support lawyer, Charleston lawyer, Charleston family law, mediator, change alimony, stop alimony Charleston sc

Alimony and Spousal Support

The courts consider a number of important factors when deciding whether to award or modify spousal support (alimony). These factors include you or your spouse's financial need, the length of the marriage, work history and earnings, the age and health of the parties, who has custody of the children, tax impacts, and marital fault (like adultery). Our Summerville attorney can meet with you one-on-one to examine the unique issues of your case and help determine the best course of action. We can also work with your CPA or forensic accountant/tax expert (especially in the case of high-income or high-asset divorce cases). 



  • Alimony/spousal support establishment

  • Alimony/spousal support enforcement

  • Alimony/spousal support modification

  • Increase or decrease alimony

  • Temporary alimony

  • Rehabilitative alimony

  • Lump sum alimony

  • Permanent periodic alimony

  • Settlement agreements

  • Paying through the SDU (State Disbursement Unit)


Mothers and their Baby, stepparent adoption, family adoption, adult adoption, adoption lawyer charleston, adopt stepchild, LGBTQ adoption, grandparent adoption, Charleston adoption lawyer, Summerville adoption

Step-Parent and Family Adoption

As blended families become more common, there has been growing interest in step-parent adoptions. South Carolina law provides for a "streamlined" adoption process under certain circumstances involving step-parent or family adoptions. We can help you every step of the way, from beginning the adoption process through obtaining new birth certificates. If you have questions about adoption, please give us a call to schedule a consultation with our Summerville law office. 


  • Step-parent adoption

  • Grandparent adoption

  • Family adoption/Relative adoption

  • LGBTQIA+ adoption

  • Adult adoption

  • Termination of Parental Rights

  • Amend or correct birth certificates

  • Child name changes

  • Adult name changes

  • Consent and relinquishment 

Happy Family; SC legal name change, Summerville sc name change lawyer, legally change name, Charleston lawyer, Charleston law firm, Charleston mediator, female lawyer, resume maiden name, change child's name, change birth certificate, Berkeley, Dorchester, Charleston

Child and Adult Name Changes

Under South Carolina law, one can easily resume a former or maiden name as part of a divorce or Separate Support & Maintenance action. However, if you wish to change your name outside of a divorce or separation, or wish to use a new name, you will need to take some additional steps to have your name legally changed. We also handle transgender name changes. Call to schedule a consultation with our Summerville law office to discuss the process required. 


Likewise, changing a child's name in South Carolina, particularly if you are not presently married to the other parent, can be more complex than many realize. Call us to schedule a consultation to discuss your individual situation. 


Request a Consultation

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page